City Heart Taskforce
The City Heart Taskforce (CHT) was established in May 2020 by Angie Bell MP, the Federal Member for Moncrieff. It was convened to enable industry leaders across key sectors of small business, tourism, education, the night economy, construction, health and knowledge, marine, arts and sport to work collectively to develop a cohesive framework with outcome focused strategies to hasten our recovery, create job opportunities and rebuild our ‘city heart’.
The CHT is committed to a cross-disciplinary and localised approach to meet the challenges and take advantage of evolving opportunities. It enables one collective voice to all levels of government and community with a well-enunciated message on behalf of our industry sectors and individual associations.
The CHT has drawn on the wide range of research related to the central Gold Coast and industry. It is leading cross-industry collaboration through initiatives such as Reimagine Gold Coast 2020 Jobs, Skills and Industry forum on August 20, to promote new ways of thinking, acting, and interacting to underpin jobs, skills and industry across the region.
There are a variety of committees with city, regional and state stakeholders, and so it is critical that sector information and resources are shared in terms of planning and strategic thinking. This ensures all industries can understand the new situation and consequences. New pathways and processes will need to be implemented to work cohesively towards an integrated industry recovery approach.
Key objectives of the CHT:
- Identify key projects or issues that require CHT attention or advocacy
- Provide a cohesive cross-industry voice for key and emerging pillars to three tiers of government
- Keep lead industries appraised of new Federal Government policy and programs that can be disseminated to the industry sector
- Act as a conduit for Federal Government jobs and program delivery directly to small business
- Support industry sectors to create a new jobs landscape
- Provide members with a communication channel to government
- Share good news stories across the region
- Work as a collective to reshape the future of our city’s engine room
A City Heart Taskforce led initiative, the Reimagine Gold Coast 2020 forum (a COVIDSafe event), was held on August 20 at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre, convening over 100 of the city’s leading business minds.
The forum has proven a pivotal step forward as we reignite our economy, rebuild our workforce and reimagine our future employment landscape.
The remit of Reimagine Gold Coast 2020 is to now deliver outcomes charted during the key industry pillar sessions.
In the report, the last 4 pages outline a number of actions and outcomes already delivered since the forum.
The Federal Government has announced these key initiatives since Reimagine Gold Coast 2020: